Click here to download PDF pattern.
I cut about 1/4 inch wider than the printed pattern to allow for seam allowance, and here are the approximate maximum measurements I got with the finished product...
Waist: 21 inches
Thigh: 11 inches
Rise: 14.5 inches
Alright! To start, cut out 1 layer of PUL, 2 layers of absorbent material (in my case, an old receiving blanket), and 2 - 4 layers of absorbent material for the soaker.
Sew in the soaker to one layer of the absorbent material.
Then sew the sides of the absorbent part of the diaper together.
Sew the PUL sides of the diaper together too.
Place the inside of the diaper into the outside of the diaper as you want it to look.
Then there's what threw me the first try, so here's my secret. Fold in both the inside and the outside of the waist to look how you want it to when it's turned and stitched. Then stick your hand in a leg hole and pinch the two sides together and DON'T LET GO. Turn the whole thing inside out and stitch around the waist. I let go the first try and pieced it together how I *thought* was right. And, well, it wasn't.
After you've finished the waist stitching, turn it right-side-out again, and you've got a peak at what's to come.
I used about 4 inches of elastic stretched over about 3/4 of the back half of the diaper.
Tack it down real good and zig-zag stitch across.
Almost there! Since I'm still working on proportions, the leg openings didn't need any elastic to fit Lily, so I just turned them under and stitched around.
Ta-da! If I were to do it again I would make the rise just a touch higher, and probably add a dip in the front so it's more bikini style since I didn't add elastic in the front. The pattern will certainly need a bit of tweaking, but I thought I'd offer it out there as a starting point for you! If you decide to have a go at it, let me know!
Edit: Deeefinitely make the rise higher! I'll probably do up another one of these in the next few days, so stay tuned for the updated PDF file.