Monday, October 18, 2010

Acorn hat!

It could surely be better, but I'm darn proud!

IMG_0875

IMG_0873

IMG_0878

Here's the basics of what I did with bulky yarn on size 9 needles using magic-loop. It fits my 19 month old--I'll say it's a 1 - 2 year old size...

Cast on 60

Do a 1x1 rib (k1, p1) for 5 rows

Knit all stitches (stockinette) for 12 rows

Begin a sort-of moss stitch: k2, p2 for two rows, then p2, k2 for another two (looks like checkerboard squares) - knit 10 rows like this, so 5 "squares"

Begin the smaller sort-of modified moss stitch (you can tell I'm professionally taught, no?): k1, p1 for two rows, then p1, k1 for two rows

Time to start the decreases! k3tog, k1, p1, k1, p1 and repeat across for one row

k1, p1 across

Do another decrease row by p3tog, p1, k1, p1, k1, repeat

p1, k1 across

Decrease again by k3tog, p1, k1, p1, repeat

k1, p1 across

Decrease by p3tog, k1, p1, k1, repeat

Final decrease by k3tog, p1, repeat

I had 6 stitches left at this point, but YMMV because I'm not professional pattern writer. k all stitches left to make a little nub of an i-cord, bind off, and enjoy on little heads!

8 comments:

  1. This is very cute. I have a little man that I could see on him. Thank you. I want to post a link to this on my co-op blog. So very adorable and perfect for fall. I think I even have the perfect yarn for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I made some changes to the decrease rows but I'm not sure why things worked for me different than for you. At any rate, the hat took me about an hour, using yarn I found on sale and I still have enough left over for a few little gifts. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this adorable pattern! I made two, one for my niece and one for my colleague's child. Can't wait to see them in use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this adorable pattern! I'm going to knit a few for a friends grandsons........only I'll do the bottom part in a lighter color
    SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just learning to knit. I absolutely LOVE this. I just wish that the pattern would fit my head....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank yu so much for sharing, I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO cute - do you have a pattern/can it be converted for adult heads??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am about to start decreasing, but was worried to start. The k3tog, k1, p1, k1, p1....repeat all that and it will end the row in the middle of the pattern? Not a problem?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...