Saturday, September 11, 2010

Round Yoke Toddler Sweater

IMG_4574

If you're anything like me you'll use this pattern more as an inspiration than an exact science. Well, I hope so anyway, because I'm no professional pattern writer! I love top-down sweaters though, and if you've done one before this will be familiar and you'll likely just need the basics to get rolling. Have fun! I'd love to see some other variations!

Size 10 US needles
Approximately 130 grams of Knit Pick's "Comfy Worsted Yarn" (75% cotton, 25% acrylic - machine washable!)

Yoke is worked in garter stitch using as many colors as you like. I used 4 and changed them every 2 rows. The body and sleeves are worked in stockinette with garter stitch edges.

Yoke:
CO 39
Rows 1 - 5: k across
Row 6: k4, [k1, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Rows 7 - 9: k across
Row 10: k4, [k2, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Rows 11 - 13: k across
Row 14: k4, [k3, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Rows 15 - 17: k across
Row 18: k4, [k4, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Rows 19 - 21: k across
Row 22: k4, [k5, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Rows 23 - 25: k across
Row 26: k4, [k6, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Rows 27 - 29: k across
Row 30: k4, [k7, k1f&b], repeat inside [ ] across until last 4 st, k4
Row 31: k across

Without knitting, count 25 stitches from both left and right sides and place a marker. Count 31 more stitches from the left and right marker and place another marker. The inside of these markers will become the sleeves.

Row 31: k to first marker, place sts on holder to next marker, k across back to next marker, place sts on holder to next marker, k to end
Row 32: k4, p across untill last 4 st, k4
Row 33: k across

Repeat rows 32 and 33 until body is desired length (mine is 6.5" of stockinette from the bottom of the yoke)

Garter stitch edge: k each st for 7 rows, BO

Pick up 31 stitches for a sleeve and work in the round in stockinette with DPNs or magic-loop technique (I prefer magic-loop) and k each row until sleeve is desired length (mine is 6" from the edge of the yoke)

Garter stitch edge: k one row, p the next for 7 rows, BO

Do the other sleeve, weave in the ends (stitching up the inevitable holes in the armpits), and you're done! I added a crochet border to create button holes and cover up my color changes, but you can also add button holes along the way if you prefer, or it doesn't even need a closure.

My finished garment is around 12" long from neck to bottom and 10.5" across the chest. It fits my 18 month old daughter (and likely would have fit her at a year, as well as continuing to fit until 2 or so).

IMG_4577

My model just woke up from her nap and is being bribed with cartoons on my iPhone. She is also wearing the most mismatched shirt, diaper, and Baby Legs. Even still, the sweater and her are cute!

IMG_4581

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the pattern. The sweater is adorable, but it can't compete with the absolute cuteness of the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sweater! Hopefully once my knitting skills get better I can tackle something like this because it's super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your pattern (via ravelry, I believe) and am giving it a go for my 14 mo girl (who is a 24 mo size). I'm very excited!! I'll keep you posted as it goes along - I am about 1/3 done with the yoke and am VERY excited! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wouldn't by chance have the numbers for a 3 month old for this sweet sweater?
    April Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking for a sweater in size 3T. This is lovely. It is to be a hand-me-down sweater for my two nieces daughters. Can you post a 3T sweater pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...